It is officially the first day of spring which means warm weather is just around the corner but unfortunately for us we have to deal with snow for a little while longer. I guess that is to be expected living in Calgary. The weather rarely cooperates and is usually the opposite of what your hoping for. One minute its beautiful and sunny and within 30 seconds there are 2 inches of snow gracing the landscape. Even though its cold and crappy outside doesn't mean that I cant embrace the fact the spring is here!
What better way to get into the spirit of spring than cleaning! No, I am completely kidding. There are many better ways to get into the spirit of the approaching warmth. Even though cleaning off the layers of winter grime is no fun at all, it is important to start the spring season off right.
Tips for Spring Cleaning
- Clean on a beautiful day. Open the windows and let the fresh air in for the first time in months. Fresh spring scents will take the place of old stale smells that have lingered for far too long. Natural sunlight will pour in through the open window which will help give you motivation to clean. You will have more pep in your step and will clean harder to get all this time consuming work out of the way so that you can enjoy the beautiful day.
- Start by cleaning one room at a time and vow to have it complete before moving on. If you don't have a specific goal in mind you may find yourself drifting all over the house without getting much done. There is even the possibility you will completely forget what you were doing and end up sitting on the balcony sipping lemonade. Now that's my kind of cleaning!
- Spread your spring cleaning over a couple weekends so that you do not feel overwhelmed and take breaks when needed.
- Create a keep, donate and throw out pile for anything you are not sure about. Making these piles will allow you to keep cleaning without stressing over what to do with these items. Come back and decide later.
- Clean the inside and outside of all windows. This will allow a clear view of the outside while letting maximum sunlight through.
- Wipe, dust or sweep under items you might not typically move. Slide the microwave over and clean underneath it or roll up an area rug and mop or vacuum the floor. You will be amazed at how much dirt ends up in these places.
- Take this opportunity to throw out old items that are no longer needed that are only taking up space.
- Use natural cleaners where ever possible. They are not as harsh and don't have noxious smells or gases.
- Get the whole family involved and make it into a game or have a prize at the end like a nice family meal out or some new spring time toys. This can help motivate those who are not in the slightest bit interested in cleaning.
By incorporating these tips in with your typical cleaning schedule you will have a spotless and spring ready home in no time!