This weekend was absolutely beautiful! The sun was shining and we had summer like temperatures even though the weather channel told us otherwise. It was supposed to pour rain for two days straight but we only saw a couple short showers. Since it was so nice I wanted to fully embrace the warm weekend with a summer inspired baked dessert and decided to make bright yellow lemon bars.
These are really delicious and may be the tastiest thing I have ever made. My guy told me this treat was the best thing he ever tasted and almost ate the entire pan before I could take any pictures. The nice thing about this recipe is that is requires very few ingredients and is relatively easy. I found this deliciousness at Shop Girl.
Lemon Bar Recipe
Bottom Crust Layer
- 1/2 cup of room temperature butter
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (omit if using salted butter)
Top Custard Layer
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup of sugar
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (approximately 4 lemons)
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
Set the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9x9 pane with parchment paper. It is absolutely essential that you use parchment paper as it will not come out of the pan otherwise.
Start by making the crust.
- Cream butter, sugar and salt together using the back of a spoon or beaters until fluffy.
- Thoroughly mix flour into butter mixture until a soft dough forms. Mine looked a lot like wet sand.
- Press into an even layer at the bottom of your parchment lined pan and place into the fridge until your oven is fully preheated.
- Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes until the edges are lightly browned.
- Pull out of the oven and let air cool.
Make top custard layer
- Beat together eggs, sugar, lemon juice, flour and lemon zest until well combined and then pour on top of the cooled crust.
- Pop back into the oven and bake for another 35-40 minutes until the center is set.
- Let cool for a bit before cutting.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar.
These are amazing warm straight from the oven or chilled overnight. Mmm delicious!