I could pretty much eat muffins for every meal everyday for the rest of my life. Just by altering a couple ingredients you can create a completely new flavour that can appeal to even the pickiest eaters. Make them savoury or sweet with a variety of different ingredients including anything from bacon and cheddar to banana and blueberry.
While a bacon cheddar muffin sounds absolutely amazing I was more in the mood for something sweet and fresh so I decided on banana blueberry. I found this delicious muffin recipe from Real House Moms and couldn't wait to try these with my big plump blueberries. I of course opted to use my mini loaf pan instead of a standard muffin tin so that I could have bigger treats. You know what they say, go big or go home!
- 1-1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of cold butter
- Preheat oven to 370
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl mash bananas and whisk in white sugar, egg and melted butter until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Don't over mix the batter or your muffins will be tough.
- Fold in the delicious blueberries.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and cut in cold butter until the mixture looks like damp sand. Put aside.
- Grease muffin or loaf tins with butter. I never use liners as I find them to be a hassle but you could use them if you prefer.
- Equally divide batter among pan.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar cinnamon mixture
- Pop into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and remove.
It doesn't really look like there are any blueberries in these muffins but believe me there is. They are almost like little surprise explosions of awesomeness when you first bite into them. Mmm baked goods.